Cordless Drill Batteries: What You Need to Know
Cordless drill batteries typically do not last as long as they should. To replace them, they are fairly expensive. In some instances it is, in fact, cheaper to just buy a new drill. However, if you research cordless drill batteries online, you can certainly get the batteries at a much cheaper price. Furthermore, you can purchase off brand replacement batteries. Why pay approximately $80 for a name brand battery like Bosch and Makita if an off brand would work just as good and be far less costly?
When looking for the right cordless drill batteries, always check out the voltage and amps. Voltage is the amount of power the drill will supply. The higher the voltage the more power you will receive. Amps are the amount of time that the drill will supply the voltage.
Additionally, look at the type of battery as well. There are three different types of batteries. One is the lithium battery that is long lasting but the current will lessen over time. The most common is the nickel-cadmium battery, which is fairly costly but is harder to injure. Lastly, there are nickel-metal hydride batteries, which are long lasting and contain no toxic substances.
Top cordless drill battery brands, if you choose to go that route, are
Black and Decker,Hitachi, Dewalt and Ryobi. Prices vary depending upon the voltage and amps required. On amazon.com there is a great Black and Decker 18 Volt Spring Loaded Slide Pack Battery (model # HPB18-OPE) that is only $34.99. What an amazing price. This battery is easy to install and includes a two-year warranty. Black and Decker is a very popular brand. Their products range from cordless drills to Alkaline Screwdrivers to Grass Hog 18 Volt Cordless Trimmers (model # NST2018). Their batteries for each of their products are very reliable.
Another option, is buying a cordless drill/driver kit. You can purchase an incredible drill/driver kit online at amazon.com. It is a Dewalt Heavy Duty 18 Volt Nickel Cadmium Drill/Driver Kit (model # DC759KA). It is somewhat costly ($141.55); however, it comes with the drill itself, a one-hour charger, two 18-volt batteries, double-ended screwdriver bit and a heavy-duty kit box. That is a lot of products for your money. It is more than worth it.
If you aren’t financially able to get a new drill or replacement cordless drill batteries, look into reconditioning your battery. This can help you out with expenses and make your drill run like new again. Check out ehow.com and find out how to go about reconditioning your battery.
Cordless drill batteries are something to research before you purchase. Check out different brands (and off brands) and compare them to each other. After you research, if you are still unsure of what choice to make, check your local hardware stores and talk with an associate there. They can let you know the pros and cons of each cordless drill battery and which one is most popular in their store.
Great Practices for Long Cordless Drill Battery Pack Life
When using the cordless drill batteries and chargers, the drill batteries can last longer than double many of our competitors. To ensure the maximum life out of a battery pack there are some best practices which must be followed as general maintenance for Nickel Cadmium Batteries.
- The battery will perform best if it is charged at room temperature. Do not charge in temperatures below 400F or above 1050F. Under these conditions, the battery will not take a full charge, and may be permanently damaged.
- If the battery is hot, let the it sit out of the charger for a least 2 hours until the battery is at room temperature. Otherwise, immediately place the battery pack in the charger.
- Do not try to discharge the battery beyond the point where the tool no longer performs with the power and torque needed for the job, because it may cause permanent damage which will prevent the battery from taking a full charge.
- Store the battery in a cool, dry place. If temperatures exceed 1200F, it may reduce the battery life.
- Periodically charge the battery overnight to take full advantage of the 3-Stage Charging System for optimum runtime and battery life.